
Will not accept derogatory remarks: Sharad Pawar backs PM Modi over Maldives diplomatic row
The Hindu
NCP chief Sharad Pawar said it was unacceptable if anyone from any other country holding a position made derogatory comments against the Indian Prime Minister
Expressing support for Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the diplomatic row between India and the Maldives, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar on January 9 said it was unacceptable if anyone from any other country holding a position made derogatory comments against the Indian Prime Minister.
“He [Mr. Modi] is the Prime Minister of our country and if anyone from any other country holding any position makes derogatory comments against our PM, we will not accept it,” Mr. Pawar said, speaking at a press conference in Mumbai.
The NCP patriarch further stressed on the need to respect the PM’s post and object to such comments made by someone outside the country.
A diplomatic furore ensued after the deputy Minister of the island nation, along with other cabinet members and government officials, made disparaging and unsavoury references to PM Modi’s Lakshadweep visit of January 2.
Meanwhile, Mr. Pawar gave a strong indication that all doors for the rebel NCP faction led by his nephew Ajit Pawar could be closed in the future.
“We do not have any thoughts within the party about those [Ajit Pawar-led NCP faction] who took such a decision, especially those who are responsible for taking such a decision… our stand about them is clear,” the 83-year-old Mr. Pawar, whose party was split by his nephew in July last year, said.
Following the split, Ajit Pawar and his loyalists have censured Sharad Pawar’s autocratic style of functioning.

With the annual cost estimated to be about ₹1 crore for each child requiring treatment for ultra-rare diseases, the Medical Education Department has sought corporate support to meet the expenses. Currently, 22 children with ultra-rare diseases are undergoing treatment at Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health (IGICH) here.