MoreBack to News Headlines



Trump administration didn't provide some separated parents the opportunity to bring their children as they were deported, new watchdog report says
CNN
Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported some parents between July 2017 and July 2018 without giving them the opportunity to bring their children, contradicting claims made by the agency and the Department of Homeland Security, according to a newly released watchdog report.
During the Trump administration, officials claimed that some parents who had been separated from their children at the US-Mexico border opted to leave their children in the United States. But the Department of Homeland Security inspector general report released Monday found that ICE removed at least 348 parents without documenting that those parents wanted to leave their children in the US. "In fact, ICE removed some parents without their children despite having evidence the parents wanted to bring their children back to their home country. In addition, we found that some ICE records purportedly documenting migrant parents' decisions to leave their children in the United States were significantly flawed," the report says.More Related News

US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth is not expected to attend next week’s meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Brussels, marking the first time since the group’s founding three years ago that a senior Pentagon official will not be there to represent the US, officials familiar with the matter told CNN.

5 things to know for April 3: Extreme weather, Auto tariffs, Myanmar earthquake, FAA, Whooping cough
CNN’s 5 Things AM brings you the news you need to know every morning.