Israeli military orders evacuation of most of Rafah
The Hindu
Israel renews conflict with Hamas, seizes buffer zone, and issues evacuation orders in Rafah, Gaza Strip.
The Israeli military on Monday (March 31, 2025) issued sweeping evacuation orders covering most of the southern city of Rafah in the Gaza Strip.
Israel ended a ceasefire and renewed its air and ground war against the Hamas militant group earlier this month.
Also Read | Netanyahu says military pressure on Hamas working, ‘cracks’ emerging in negotiations
Israel launched a major operation in Rafah, on the border with Egypt, last May, leaving large parts of it in ruins.
Israeli forces seized a strategic buffer zone along the border and did not withdraw from it as called for in the ceasefire agreement. Israel said it needed to maintain a presence there to prevent weapons smuggling.

PM Modi’s visit a great opportunity for India and Sri Lanka: Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath Premium
Ahead of PM Modi’s scheduled visit to Sri Lanka from April 4 to 6, 2025, Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath spoke to The Hindu in Colombo on April 1, 2025, on key agreements to be signed, the ‘change’ in India’s engagement with Sri Lanka and more.